Follow this moving checklist to help you with a successful move!
6-8 Weeks Before moving day
- Set the date
- Interview moving companies and get estimates
- Get costs from truck rental companies if you are planning to move yourself
- Purchase or rent moving supplies: tape, markers, scissors, pocketknife, newspaper, blankets, moving pads, plastic storage bins, rope and a hand truck. Free boxes can usually be obtained at a local supermarket, but consider purchasing wardrobe boxes for mowing closthes.
- Inventory household goods
- Choose a mover
- Keep a detailed record of all moving expenses. Your costs may be tax deductible depending on the reasons for your move.
At least 4 weeks before moving day
- Contact utility companies to arrange for transfer or shut off
- Notify lawn service, cleaning and security companies when service should be terminated.
- File change of address forms
- Don’t forget to notify creditors and anyone else who sends you monthly mail or publications
- Notify healthcare professionals (doctors, dentists, veterinarians) of your move and ask for referrals and record transfers.
- Notify friends and family of new address
- Start organizing items to be moved or packed
- Fragile vs. non-fragile
- Immediate need in new home: Kitchen items, Clothing, Toiletries, Tools
- Register children for school and ask for school records to be transferred.
- Check your homeowner’s insurance and make arrangements for new coverage.
- Hold a yard sale to get rid of unnecessary items and junk. Consider donating unwanted items.
2 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Return any borrowed or rented items
- Cable Boxes
- Library books
- Pick up any personal items
- Begin to clear out refrigerator and freezer
1 Week Before Moving Day
- Confirm arrangements with the movers
- Notify friends and neighbors that you may need their help
- Make arrangements for care of small children and pets for the day
1 Day Before Moving Day
- Make sure each person has a bag packed for essentials at the new address
- Have tools handy for breaking down beds and appliances.
- Move valuables (jewelry, legal documents, family photos & collections) yourself – don’t send them with the moving company.
- Defrost refrigerator/freezer
- Confirm arrival time of movers
Day Of The Move
- Get an early start
- Make sure movers have your contact information during the move
- Be available to movers for questions
- Perform final check of the home once movers have left
- Double check the basement, yards, attic, garage and closets.
- Make sure any appliances left behind are turned off
- Be sure to leave keys and garage door openers
- All rooms should be at least broom clean and prepared for buyer walk through inspection
- Make sure you understand how mover expects to be paid
- Supervise unloading and any unpacking
- Confirm receipt of all items on inventory sheets
- Welcome to your new home!