60% of a home’s water consumption takes place in the bathroom, according to the California Urban Water Conservation Council.
8 ways to save water without spending a dime:
- Turn the water off while brushing your teeth.
- Fill a milk jug with stones and place in your toilet tank to displace water.
- Dig up an egg timer from your kitchen and use it to cut showers down to 5 minutes.
- Turn off the water while shaving.
- Fix toilet and faucet leaks immediately.
- Don’t use your toilet as a trash can.
- Collect “warm-up” water to irrigate your lawn and flowerbeds.
- Conserve energy. The National Renewable Energy Laboratory estimates that .47 gallons of water are lost for every kilowatt-hour of power generated by coal power plants.